In The Music

Musings about the genius life of a composer in the 21st century.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cochiti Lake, New Mexico, United States

In a perfect world, everybody sings.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

flogging the blog

I've been out in the blog-hood looking for other composers & musicians... I found a former student who's been living in Budapest. I found a former colleague who's a music critic in New York. I found the Daily Nooz - which is pretty funny. All the blogs have links to other blogs and/or sites, a trail of breadcrumbs to help quel my curiosity - or lead me down the rabbithole.

Somebody named Anonymous (could it be the famous medieval woman composer Ann Onymous?) has been posting my blog: urging me to link my site to these "interesting places" which turn out to be ads for money-lenders, drug sellers, plastic surgeons and other dens of dubious iniquities.

This morning, I read in the NYTimes (dot-com, of course) that some 62-year-old woman's entire online search-life was used as publicity by her server (AOL - by name). In a matter of minutes, people followed the breadcrumb trail of her search links and found this 62-yr-old Georgia widow who loves dogs and likes to help friends search for stuff online. AOL issued an apology. But there she is - user No. 4417749 - complete with her picture and every search she's made online, without regard for her motivation, no less privacy in the last year or more...
Quoth the NYTimes (Ur-blog?) "AOL removed the search data from its site over the weekend and apologized for its release, saying it was an unauthorized move by a team that had hoped it would benefit academic researchers." I hope user No. 4417749 has a new internet provider... umm... google? hotmail? Right.

Perhaps I'll go google myself now. (it's the millennial vanity)

Here's another soundfile. Enjoy.
http://www.villawisteria.org/MuFiles/Bells/4-Cascades.mp3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home