In The Music

Musings about the genius life of a composer in the 21st century.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cochiti Lake, New Mexico, United States

In a perfect world, everybody sings.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Dare

This blog begins with a dare:
it came in an email to me from my oldest, best friend and was prompted by my usual gripe about not having enough money, no recognition, no fame&fortune, blah, blah, blah!
so here it is:

" I don't know why it has to be this way for anybody else, but it has to be this way for you because you do not ask for what you want or need, and you dishonor your genius by exercising it on the cheap. There is help to be had IF YOU ASK FOR IT, and that's the not-doing-it-all-by-yourself part. You have not allowed anyone ELSE in on your dirty little secret, which is your music genius. You have to exhibit respect for your music by asking for help in producing it. Please, sir, I want some more abuse; abuse me, and dishonor my music. Your mother happily complies. No one else agrees with her, but they don't get the chance to say so, or to help get it out into the world. Modesty is self-denial and there is no virtue or honor in self-denial.

Stand up! Make music.

1 Comments:

Blogger Juls said...

Whose blog is this, anyway? I was embarrassed at being so blunt AFTER I had clicked the deadly send button. On the other hand, I do firmly believe that each person's genius is only acknowledged to the degree that its creator himself honors it.

Self-denial is a far too common ailment in the Arts, perhaps in the world, and somebody's got to blow the whistle on it. It stops way too many people in their creative tracks. It's a sin, it's the first and worst sin, and engenders most of the rest of them.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home